Saturday, September 27, 2008

Week #5, Thing #11, Wikis

I selected Wetpaint, one of the hosted wikis from the Web 2.0 Awards short list. As I was exploring, I checked out the education theme and found Wikis in the Classroom. I was able to check out a few examples. I loved that they are free and you can apply to have your wiki be ad-free. While I did not commit and actually sign up to create a wiki, the process appeared to be very easy - three basic screens/steps. As part of this process, you can control who can edit your site. There are two different templates to help you create your site. I found one for PTO wikis and plan to try to get my school PTO to set up a wiki.

The applications are endless and the site provides you with a list of some from group projects to a communication platform between classroom/education stakeholders. I can see it being useful in my library to post items about our reading competition.

In regards to education wikis, Wetpaint is aware of COPPA, therefore they do not permit students under 13 to register on Wetpaint.com. It is also possible to make your site private, open only to invited members.

My previous knowledge of Wikis extended only to Wikipedia, which has been at the center of many conversations among library media specialists. Many of the sites on Wetpaint were fan sites for various celebrities and television shows.

No comments: