As I was checking out different mashups, I stumbled across Tag Galaxy. It is a graphically creative way to view photos from Flickr - using tags. Once you type in the tag you would like to search, a solar system-like representation of your search appears. All of the photos with your "searched" tag are included with the planet in the "center" of the solar system. Planets of various sizes orbit the central one - they are the orginal tag more defined, or broken down further. I am reminded of an old search tool that had a little "genie" and the results of a search were presented graphically/visually with subtopics, or refined" topics branching off from the main search term. (Sorry, can't think of the name of it - if anyone knows, I would love to be reminded.) To view the photos under that tag, simply click on the desired planet and it zooms in toward you. By moving the mouse around the screen, the planet will rotate, allowing you to view all of that set of photos. You can click on any you want to see larger and you can also advance it so that the next set comes onto the screen.
My husband played around with it a little bit and actually figured out how to navigate around and through the planets/tags better than I did. A word of caution though - like any search tool, you can get undesired results. When he searched "trucks", he also got pictures of women.
I found Tag Galaxy to be a more enjoyable way to view photos by their tags than seraching/exploring on Flickr.
Monday, August 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment